HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: speaker mic jack
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:17 pm 

I wanted to use the speaker mic jack on the RS-UV3 ... but there isn't a speaker mic that is compatible with that jack's wiring.

So, I made my own!

I used an old Icom HM-23 hand mic I had lying about, which has an 8 pin Foster connector.

Then, I used an in line 8 pin mating jack.

I got a TRRS male 1/8" plug.

Using the connections guide in the RS-UV3 manual, and a cutoff section from an old USB cable, I wired the Foster in line jack to match the Icom connections for mic ground and 'hot' (it takes the DC electret bias from the RS-UV3) and also the PTT line, to the TRRS male.

When I plugged the TRRS male into the RS-UV3 jack, the plug insertion action opens the connection to the on board RS-UV3 speaker pins, which I had previously wired to a 1/8" mono jack to connect a speaker.

Yikes!

Well, no worry. A brief scan of the schematic and an ohmmeter showed me that there's two lands on the PCB at the speaker mic jack that can be shorted and thus bypassing the internal cut-over switch in the RS-UV3 jack. Et voila! The regular speaker again worked.

The HM-23 has no internal speaker and that doesn't bother me. I'd rather have the higher fidelity conventional external speaker anyway.

Also, the RS-UV3 mic jack does not source power for the Icom mic touch tone pad. That's OK, too, for now.

I may have to make a small adjustment to the TX modulation with the Icom mic, but, it worked first time.

Steve KZ1X

Post subject: Re: speaker mic jack
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:15 pm 

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info and yes rolling your own speaker/mic should be straightforward and the RDA1486S chip seems to have a wide latitude for input audio levels. There are some digital gain adjustments that we haven't implemented in the serial protocol but if it turn out that they are needed just let us know and I'll code something up.

There is a commercial radio that uses the same mic pinout. The Baofeng UV3R uses the same 3.5MM TRRS with the same connections. However, doing some research there seems to be different versions that may have different speaker impedances or some other variation. We are currently evaluation several of these speaker/mics and when we find one that works well with the RS-UV3, we'll buy 100 and pt them in the store.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:48 pm 

Deviation is a bit 'light' with all the various electret mics I have tried so far.

I did not put one on the DE9 audio input port, only via the TRRS connection.

I used the rig's bias in all cases.

Yes, it might be nice to have a way to digitally address the mic gain parameter, if that's do-able without a heavy lift.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:45 am 

Well that didn't work too well. I'll email it to you. You can use the RS and RR commands to change the settings ant tell me what a 'MG' command should do. I guess that it should be stored in the operational data set not the per channel set.

Jim.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:11 pm 

By using the 'RR' and 'RS' serial commands, I was able to easily increase my deviation to a more useful level.

The command string I used is:

RS414712<cr>

which decodes to:

'Radio set' 'Register 41' 'Variable data 4712'

One could read what the value is at any given time, by entering:

RR41<cr>

which decodes to:

'Read radio' 'register 41'

I believe the default data is '470F' or '4704' but it is of no matter as neither were quite high enough for me.
'4712' is good and maybe even '4715' ... the latter is plenty wide even for people with soft voices.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:52 am 

OK I'll look at coding up a MG command that allows setting of the 'mic gain'. I may add a TG command for setting the CW and DTMF levels as well.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:53 am 

I see that there is now a speaker mic offered for the RS-UV3 on this website.

I have one already, and it is plug and play!

The latest radio firmware sets the default deviation level at an ideal point for this mic.

Steve KZ1X