HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Enclosure
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:51 pm 

I'm nearing the point with my RS-UV3 project where I'd like to start boxing it up. I've been waiting for the "official" enclosure to come out, but I'm starting to wonder if it might be too small for what I'm building. The "preview" enclosure shown on the RS-UV3 project page is obviously not the final version (it seems to have been built around a prototype of the RS-UV3 with different jacks), but it looks pretty skinny. I was wondering if anyone in the know can answer a couple questions about the forthcoming enclosure:

- Will it be tall enough for a standard Arduino to be mounted underneath the RS-UV3 shield?
- Will there be room in the enclosure to stack another shield above the RS-UV3 (like a protoshield)?
- Will the enclosure have space to contain a LiPo (for example, a 2S 18650 like this: http://amzn.com/B00IP8ZK4A)

It would be helpful to know this before soldering headers to the RS-UV3 and/or deciding if I should build my own enclosure to contain additional hardware.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Enclosure
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:21 pm 

Hi,

The enclosure that's currently in production is based on the Hammond 1455J1201 series enclosure that is 23mm high. It will only fit the RS-UV3 and maybe the sub-receiver if I can make it small enough. We actually buy the case from Hammond and add custom top and side panels.

At Dayton I had a RS-UV3 with an Arduino 'hanging' from the bottom which easily fit inside a Hammond 1455K1201 which is the same case but 43mm high. I also added a 2.8" touch-screen LCD on top of the RS-UV3. Here's a link to the LCD:

http://www.mpja.com/TFT-Touch-Screen-Ar ... 0437%20MP/

I wrote a Sketch to display the frequency and signal strength and allows volume/squelch adjustment and channel selection via the touch-screen. It would also display any incoming DTMF tones.

For you application the Hammond 1455K1201 is the way to go and although we don;t have end-panels for it yet, that's the enclosure that we'll use for the RS-UV3 with the 10W, 3 band PA, then RS-UVPA so it's not too far in the future.

Jim WA2EUJ

Post subject: Re: Enclosure
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:16 pm 

Thank you very much Jim! I've gone ahead and ordered a 1455K1201 for my project. I'll post photos to this forum when I finish the enclosure. Thanks for the tip about the LCD too. I'm using a tiny OLED right now, but I hadn't thought about using a touch screen interface with a larger screen - very interesting!

Cai W6CAI