HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: RS-UV3 and ARDUINO
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:43 pm 

I have successfully been able to use the front panel application and an FTDI cable or an RS232-TTL converter, with my board. I have also been able to enter commands directly using a terminal emulator (PUTTY) and either board. However, when I attempt to use the ARDUINO (Mega 2650), some of the commands are not correctly executed and the board locks up.

All of the query commands (command?) seem to get the proper response from the board. The VT, TP, SS, SN, VU and FW commands also work. However, when I attempt to use a command that requires a passed parameter (Power level - PW0 command for example) the board stops working and requires a power cycle to recover.

The CT, DS and ID commands cause the board to transmit the proper signals but each execution results in a lockup. I have a dummy load directly connected to the the antenna jack to ensure that stray RF should not not a problem.

The ARDUINO sketch simply uses the Serial Monitor to enter commands and display responses from the board and the TX3/RX3 pins of the MEGA to talk to and listen for responses from the board.

Here is the sketch:

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(19200);
Serial3.begin(19200,SERIAL_8N1);
Serial.println("RS-UV3 Control Test");
}

void loop() // run over and over
{
if (Serial3.available())
{
Serial.write(Serial3.read());
}
if (Serial.available())
{
Serial3.write(Serial.read());
}
}

HELP!

Post subject: Re: RS-UV3 and ARDUINO
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:30 pm 

Hi,

I suspect that what's going on is that the RS-UV3 expects a <CR> only and the Arduino is sending a <CR><LF> which appears to lock up the RS-UV3 because the <LF> is appearing on the begining of the next line so nothing looks like a command.

I corrected this in the current version which requires on a <CR> to terminate the command but disregards any other control characters/nulls that might come in.

So try updating to the firmware posted in the files section and everything should work fine.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:07 pm 

Jim

That did the trick. It is behaving well now. I am now waiting for the linear to become available. In the interim, I am writing software to use the board as a terminal to control a Kenwood TMV71A transceiver as a remote, simplex base station. The control is accomplished by using DTMF tones and listening for a confirmation in DTMF. I will also be using the ID facility of the board in this application.

Dennis KG4RUL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:22 pm 

The multiple negative eHam reviews you posted say your RS-UV3 isn't working. Is this the same radio? I was going to buy it from you. Nothing wrong with mine! I could use an extra one.

Steve KZ1X

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:40 pm 

As noted above, updated firmware has cured all the problems. It is disappointing that the board I received did not have that update which was dated a month before it was shipped to me. But, that is water under the bridge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:33 am 

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for updating your E-Ham review.

How that happens is that the firmware is put in the board when the board is manufactured, not when the board is shipped. So especially in the early stages of a product roll out, the firmware changes very quickly. Whenever I buy a product that requires drivers, I never use the drivers that shipped with the unit I always download the latest driver from the website.

Actually the very latest firmware isn't up on the site. I've been adding a lot of support for Beacon operation with input from a couple groups. We now support true CW beacons as well as Audio Modulated FM Beacons. The RS-UV3 can be set to beacon through the channels, creating multi-channel/band beacons. All without an external controller.

We also added a serial command to key and unkey the transmitter that makes the radio CAT compliant for use with echolink and other remote apps.

I think we're getting ready to roll out V1.4 but if anyone needs any of these features sooner send me an email jim (at) hobbyPCB (dot) com and I'll send you the current hex file.

Also if anyone thinks of a function that the radio doesn't have you are one email away from the firmware design chain. The PIC still has half of the ROM free and 75% of the RAM available so let me know what you want it to do and I'll see if I can make it go. The more ham radio activities we support, the better.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:09 pm 

Jim, I am getting some funny things using the DS (DTMF Send) command. Either in software or from the IDE serial monitor, entering a command like DS12 results in the transmitter keying and tones for the entered characters being sent then a delay then more characters then the transmitter unkeys. The pattern is (where x= additional characters: 12 delay xx delay xxx delay xxx delay xxxxx delay x delay xxx

Dennis KG4RUL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:15 am 

Hi Dennis,

Let me see if I can duplicate this...

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:49 am 

Yes I see what happened, when I made the change for the RS-UV3 to ignore <LF>'s and other control characters, I stopped storing the <CR> in the receive string and just terminate the string with a null (0x00) when a <CR> is received. The DS command is looking for a <CR> to stop so it just keeps going until it has sent 28 characters. Could be sending just about anything.

I'll get a new version with a fix posted in a few days.

Jim WA2EUJ