HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:16 pm 

So, I'm no super hobbyist so this passage is a bit vague to me. Figured I'd better double check before I went ahead.
I'm assuming I need to close the power circuit on the RS-UV3 since the RS-UVPA has it's own switch otherwise I'd have to switch them both on.
Can I just use a 2.54mm spacing header and jumper piece here? I'd just use a short wire as directed except I don't actually have any that small dia. I'll have to shop for something either way and the header seems a bit cleaner in the end. Might have to clip it short a bit to fit in-between the 2 boards.

Those light pipes are pretty fiddly when you try to get the holes in the case end to match up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:22 am 

Yes, a 2 pin 0.1" (2.54mm) header with a shorting clip is an excellent way of making sure the RS-UV3 is powered. The next production run will have these already installed. My advise on the light pipes is 'don't try too hard'. You can press them firmly into the PCB and the will stay in place unless something bumps into them. So push them into the holed and then treat the boards very gently until you can slide them into place.

I know it's not a huge help but once you get them in you can forget about them. In new designs we'll be avoiding these as well.

Jim WA2EUJ