HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:52 pm 

Hello the group,
I just purchased one and the price is reasonable regarding the performances (IMO). It gives you up to 192 KHz sampling frequency at 16 or 24 bits. Small trick : if you want to use it with the windows MIME driver (what you are using when you use the sound manager at the bottom right of the windows desktop), you have first to set it up with the ASIO control panel that is automatically installed (start menu, Focusrite folder) when you install the driver. Then the choice you made via the ASIO control panel is applied to the windows MIME driver as well.
I'll do some tests and tunings and let you know.
73, Alain F4HFS.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:33 pm 

if you can measure the noise floor, the passband range and the ripple in the passband it will be very informative. I've seen some tests of some soundcards for those parameters and they were TERRIBLE! What's ok for sound and what's really good for SDR seem to be in different leagues altogether.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:48 am 

AC7CW, have you measured any good 192KHz cards? I was contemplating digging my Creative E-MU out of the storage closet, as they used to be pretty good with Softrock. But I guess our SDR standards have been rising, over the years since I first used it...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:41 pm 

ProfTrevorMarshall wrote:
AC7CW, have you measured any good 192KHz cards? I was contemplating digging my Creative E-MU out of the storage closet, as they used to be pretty good with Softrock. But I guess our SDR standards have been rising, over the years since I first used it...

I have done no testing, I barely have equipment enough to get on the air actually. If I invest in equipment I'll for sure characterize the stuff I own as a start... Check this out: https://sites.google.com/site/lofturj/sdr_widget click on the link to the pdf about sound card noise floor comparisons, it's a real eye-opener.