HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:52 pm 

I have the IQ32 upgrade (S/N 103) to my RS-HFIQ working (sans front plate, Jim assures me it's on the way!) and it's really sweet. The sound (when plugged into some amplified speakers) is awesome, the signal clarity of received stations is all I could ask for, and THANK YOU for putting WWV buttons on the frequencies page! That was seriously excellent to see!

But I have a few questions. (I've edited this a little, adding a question or two and acknowledging one was already answered.)

Am I right in assuming the USB port is only a data connection for a USB drive, to facilitate updating the firmware, and that the keyboard I connect needs a PS/2 plug? Or can I use a USB keyboard? If it WILL accept a USB keyboard, will it work with a wireless one? (Not Bluetooth.) If the keyboard must be plugged into the PS/2 DIN socket, will one of those PS/2 to USB adapters work?

The passband center is off to the left on the spectrum/waterfall display. Is there a way to shift it, say, to the center? The way it is, all the activity is in the left 80% of the display area for the WF/Sp box, and I keep wanting to slide it over. It makes the PSK waterfall look especially off-center.

The TUNE button for the 1khz tuning signal and xmit works great...except how do you get it to STOP? I must be missing something, because I've tried tapping my key, tapping the screen, trying the tune button again, everything intuitive, but I wind up having to toggle power, which can't be right. (Note: I do NOT have a keyboard connected yet. I have to find one that has an actual PS/2 connector. They're in short supply in my house, we've used USB keyboards for YEARS.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CW key this device expects is a straight key or external electronic keyer? If it will accept an external keyer, can I just use the Super CMOS III I have on my old Bencher paddle, or do I need the fancy IQ Keyer? I'm not really a fan of straight key, but I can get used to it if I have to.

These are all questions I could not answer by reading the manual...or the answers are so deeply hidden in other topics that I couldn't spot them in a normal reading of the docs. I had to search the PDF for the "tune" button, and it's GREAT at telling you how to turn it ON but not how to end the xmit! (Bob answered this one already.)

The rig is listed as 80-10m. Can it do 30m and the WARC bands? Or do I simply need to edit the frequency manager page to add them? Is there an easy way to change band to one not listed on the frequency manager? (30m isn't on my FM page.)

Am I correct in understanding that, in order to adjust the reference level of the waterfall or spectrum, I need to adjust RF Gain? The waterfall in PSK mode at full RF Gain is a bright yellow and shows no detail. I have to lower the gain to see anything. Or, once again, did I miss the correct method in the documentation?

Last, but not least, I wish you had something on the store page for the upgrade kit that I would need a specific speaker/mike to operate on SSB. I would have ordered it with the unit. I AM right in understanding that the only TRRS mike on your store page works with it, aren't I? I wish it was compatible with a Yaesu speaker mike's pinouts, I have several of those already!

Looking forward to receiving the mike I ordered and the enclosure faceplate. Any chance they got put in the same box, or are they arriving separately?

Gwen, NG3P

Last edited by ArdRhi on Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:40 pm 

To get out of the "Tune" mode, go to the mode select screen and press the button on screen for the mode you want to switch too. That will stop the tune tone.

Regards,
Bob - N4RFC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:26 pm 

bob@n4rfc.com wrote:
To get out of the "Tune" mode, go to the mode select screen and press the button on screen for the mode you want to switch too. That will stop the tune tone.

Thanks, Bob. That makes sense. I didn't try that...instead, I went to that screen and tried to hit the Tune button again, as if it were a toggle.

I may cannibalize an old Tixie 80m transceiver and put the Tick keyer chip in my portable paddle...unless I can find the spare Tick chip I had. I dropped it on the carpet and need to search for it. :/

I can use a straight key, but I'm not fond of it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:06 am 

Hi Gwen,

Right now the USB port is only for updating the firmware. from what I've heard from the FW team it doesn't support a USB keyboard. The firmware roadmap has CAT control so it may gain functionality in the future. From the little keyboard research that I've done, virtually all keyboards are both USB and PS2, to use PS2 you need a small adapter which you can get from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Female-MiniDin6-Computer-Convert-Adapter/dp/B0037FFD9I/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1540810374&sr=8-13&keywords=usb+to+ps2

I'd like to see the spectrum show both sides and the full +/- 48 kHz that the CODEC is capable of, we'll add it to the FW update requests.

You to get out of 'tune' just select something else.

Right now CW is via straight key or external keyer (You can actually run the IQ Keyer code on the Nano that you removed from the RS-HFIQ). Memory Keyer functions are coming.

You can operate on any frequency from 3.5 to 30 MHz. There's a SI5351 library issue (which should be getting fixed) that has some issues with tuning above 29 MHz. With a keyboard you can reassign all of the frequency memories to be whatever you want. Also if you press down on the main tuning knob you can change the tuning step and quickly dial in bands that aren't by default on the memory plan.

The face plate is coming from Baltimore, and the Mic will be shipped from Clearwater so not much of a chance of them being in the same box.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:14 am 

Thanks, Jim. That answers a lot of my questions.

The adapter you linked to is a green MOUSE adapter. A ps/2-USB adapter for keyboard is purple. I have one on order, so we'll see how it works when it gets here.

I have some compact keyboards that work on a dedicated 2.4ghz link through a tiny dongle. It's not Bluetooth, so I'll experiment and see if that works with the keyboard adapter. Otherwise, I'll get a compact USB keyboard and use that. I have trouble on my Elecraft KX3/PX3 with wired keyboards, so I have one of those 2.4ghz gadgets on it and it works on that rig. The cable of the keyboard keeps picking up RF and shoving it into the keyboard buffer as text. I hope I don't have that problem on the IQ32.

I've got a small keyer board on its way. I'll see if I can mount it inside the enclosure of a paddle I have, and if not, I'll mint-tin it and use that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:19 pm 

So on the USB keyboard.
Use a PS2 keyboard.
We have had no success with USB keyboard. After spending literally weeks debugging it the issue was traced to what appeared to be a Hardware issue in the STM32 chip. It seemed not to handle keyboard properly. I even got ST to almost admit to the problem. As far as I know it has not been resolved by ST. We used their driver and we could watch it using a logic analyser it hanging in the chip.
Since the IQ32 board is built with much newer silicon then the STM32-SDR boards it is possible that it might have been corrected by ST. It was a couple of years ago we looked at this. So you can try a USB keyboard. If it works let us know.

The IQ32 has provision for a bluetooth module so if people wanted we could add that support once it is deemed a approved enhancement. Then you could use a Bluetooth Keyboard. Which I have always thought is much cooler.

Dave
VE7HR/VE7PKE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:32 pm 

FYI I just tried my IQ32 with a USB keyboard and it works fine.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:16 pm 

That is good news Jim,
I checked mine but it does not work.
Until proved wrong I an not confident that the USB keyboard is a good suggestion. YMMV.
Dave
VE7HR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:04 pm 

As I said on the firmware bug thread, the ONLY keyboard I can get to work is an ancient Compaq PS/2 unit. I have a mini keyboard from Amazon with a PS/2 plug, and while the lights flash when you plug it in, it doesn't work. I've tried several USB>PS/2 adapters and they don't work at all with any keyboard.

If I plug a USB keyboard into the USB port, I can get the legend to change from "No Kbd" to "USB Connected", but it does nothing else. Note that even the Compaq keyboard that works doesn't change the display from "No Kbd" to anything else.

I'd rather not have to use the Compaq keyboard to use PSK on this radio. The keyboard is massive, heavier than the radio BY FAR and it takes up lots of my bench real estate. I'd hate to try to lug the thing out into the field for PSK. I'd LOVE to get the mini PS/2 keyboard working, as it weighs less than the IQ32 and is barely a foot long...but after the lights flash, it does ZIP, nada, zilch, swabo, nit, nil...you get the idea.

The 2.4ghz dongle I use with the keyboard on my Elecraft PX3 does nothing on this radio, either in the USB port OR connected via PS/2 adapter.

So far, keyboard use is a tad disappointing, though the Compaq keyboard let me make a single contact in Florida. I'm hoping this is a firmware issue and not a hardware issue, so it can actually be resolved.

This is the mini-PS/2 keyboard I got from Amazon. I REALLY would like it to work eventually.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JV08TIA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:11 pm 

Unfortunately, we are waiting for the processor manufacturer to correct the problem. I wouldn't expect a solution any time soon since this has been a problem with the processor going back several years. We have found the keyboard when unplugged and reinserted, will sometimes indicate the keyboard is connected and will work for a while. However, it is not reliable and will eventually drop out, usually in the middle of the QSO. There are adaptors between USB to PS2.