HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Firmware Bug?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:05 am 

I see a firmware bug in Version 1.000 - Using the Main Screen "Mode" button, when you switch to USB the red line on the WF/Sp display goes away. It re-appears on CW and the PSK modes, but is now gone on both USB and LSB modes. The only way I have found to get it back is to power cycle the radio. Does the same thing using the Mode Screen. Once you have selected USB the red line is gone on both SSB modes.

Question, why no "Split" function on SSB. Seems like a good thing to do. The Split mode works Great!

And, I have been listening on PSK and that works great too. I have to see if I can dig up a PS/2 keyboard. Don't know if I have one in the basement or not. I will have to do some mining down there later today.

Excellent product!

Bob - N4RFC

Post subject: Re: Firmware Bug?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:31 pm 

Hi Bob,

I'll let the FW guys address your bug, but FYI I just tried my IQ32 with a USB keyboard and it works fine.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:19 pm 

Jim,

Are you using a USB Keyboard with an adapter on the PS/2 port, or plugged into the USB port on the IQ32?

I found an PS/2 to USB adapter in my desk "junk" drawer. I am going to give that a try with a "mini" USB keyboard.

Also, I found some large Nylon nuts that I can put on the end of the two left hand display screws that should firm up the touch screen.

Regards,

Bob - N4RFC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:52 pm 

I plugged the USB keyboard into the USB jack and it seems to work. I need to do some more investigation because it also stopped working after a while and required a power cycle.

Jim.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:40 pm 

Jim,
You have found the issue. USB keyboard works for an indeterminate time then stops.
I am interested what keyboard you are using?
Thanks
Dave
VE7HR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:23 pm 

I tried a SIIG mini keyboard that I plugged into an adapter into the PS/2 port. That did not work, but that keyboard worked plugged into the USB port. I experienced one failure / lockup of the keyboard. It does seem that you have to go to PSK mode before the keyboard is recognized.

Bob - N4RFC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:33 pm 

Here is my experience with Keyboards:

My SIIG mini keyboard, does NOT work with an USB to PS/2 adapter on the PS/2 port.
The SIIG mini keyboard works on the USB port, and the software shows"Kbd attached" as one would expect. I had that keyboard lock up one time. Otherwise, it has worked very well.

I have new in the box, still had the Chinese plastic bag and tie wraps on the cable, PS/2 keyboard. It was in the basement and probably has been there for 15 years! It works fine plugged into the PS/2 port, but the software does NOT show "Kbd attached" when PSK mode is selected.

Don't know if this information is helpful, but this is what I have observed.

Regards,

Bob - N4RFC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:32 pm 

I tried several, one was a Dell another was an off-brand with back-lit keys.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:49 am 

I've tried several keyboards, and the ONLY one I've managed to get working is an ancient, huge, and heavy Compaq PS/2 keyboard. I can't get anything to work via the USB port, and I've tried both purple and green USB>PS/2 adapters and NADA. I got a mini PS/2 keyboard from Amazon, and while the lights on it flash once when plugged in, it doesn't do anything else.

Interesting point...even the Compaq, which does work, does NOT switch from "No Kbd" to "Kbd Attached".

Is it verified then, that some USB keyboards will work on the USB port, if with some odd results? I haven't managed to do that. I've also tried a 2.4ghz USB wireless keyboard that works fine connected to my PX3 that does NOT work on the IQ32 (sn 103).

It's a bit weird to have to use a keyboard that weighs twice what the radio does and takes up 4x as much room just to use PSK mode. I'd rather use the mini keyboard, but it isn't being recognized, even though it's a PS/2 cable on the thing.

Any ideas? (If this should move to a new topic, just let me know. But y'all are talking keyboards, and this seems like a potential firmware issue to me.)

Gwen

BTW, Jim, I got the faceplate and it looks GORGEOUS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:59 pm 

Regarding "when you switch to USB the red line on the WF/Sp display goes away", this is by design. The red line indicates the transmit frequency, the center point for the receive filter and optimal tuning in CW mode. You will notice when setting a narrow filter it is centred on the line. Similarly, in PSK it indicates the tone transmit frequency. In tune, it also represents the transmit frequency. However, in SSB it has no relevance and is therefore not displayed.