HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:53 pm 

Ok have tried the heat stripping of the enameled wires on the toroids, following the instructions in manual. Tried with my Weller soldering station cranked up to 750 degrees, molten solder on the tip and applied it to the end of wire cut on a bias. But didn't see any enamel burn off. Now I was doing this on a scrap piece of the wire held in a small vise to practice. The So my question, are there any additional tricks to getting this technique to work????? I have all my toroids wound, but need to strip enamel before installing..

73 Paul KC2NYU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:53 pm 

The trick for working with thermaleze wire is thermal mass of the removal process, not temperature.

If your soldering iron has a thermostat, it's all but guaranteed not to have enough thermal mass to get the task done.

Without being there I can't say for certain but it's 45 years of experience speaking here.

I can teach you WAY better and guaranteed ways of getting this task completed --using the tools and materials you have on hand, or with readily available alternatives-- but this sort of hands-on teaching is next to impossible to do via the internet.

I will try anyway!

Please post the specific makes and model numbers of the soldering devices you now own, and, the specific brand and description of all the soldering chemicals you have (starting with the solder itself). Spare no details as, believe it or not, this is a pretty complicated thermodynamics and materials-science issue and the details ALL matter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:35 pm 

HI Paul,

Scraping them is an acceptable option. I end up fixing amps that have poor connections due to incomplete enamel removal. Nice shiny tinned wire is what you need, how you get there is up to you.

That said, start at the tip and keep adding solder with the wire inside the solder ball. You start to notice that the molten solder ball has a red film on it and as you work away from the tip the red film start to form it's own ball.

Sometimes you have to start with a new ball. If you have a solder pot this is much easier, just dip it and wait. If you can male ti go it's a bit easier than scraping but not a lot.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:00 pm 

My preferred method is to use a butane lighter to burn off the insulation, followed by sanding the wire with fine sandpaper until the black residue is removed and the wire is shiny copper. I fold over the piece of sandpaper and pull the end of the wire through it, sanding both sides at the same time.

Art WB8ENE