HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: T2--hard to wind!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:42 pm 

I was able to get 2 of the 4 turns on T2, but no more.

I looked through the topics here on the forum and didn't see anyone saying they had a problem like this, though I did see that one builder needed more 18awg enameled wire, so maybe he had the same problem.

Anyway, no one gave any solutions, so is it just me?

I have wound many toroids and transformers for switch mode power supplies and find it hard to see how I have so much trouble with this. Not sure why I am having so much problems with a simple task.

The problem seems to be that the wires are bowing outward "inside" the cores and that takes up lots of space. If they went "straight" through and then made the sharp 360 deg turn it would probably work, hmm...?

Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you,

Alan Gilmore
KC3EPI
Baltimore, MD

Post subject: Re: T2--hard to wind!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:22 am 

Hi Alan,

We don't get too many comments saying that T2 is difficult to wind, but I agree that it can be tricky with the very stiff wire and tight bends. When I wind it, I want it to look like a machine did it so here's what I suggest:

Take the 12" of #18 enameled wire and in the middle of it put a U-bend with the U spacing the same and the space between the holes in the core. (I like to make my U bend with a flat bottom, more like 2 right angle bands than a single 180 bend). Then insert the U (one leg in each hole) from the single large pad side of the core - NOT THE SPLIT SIDE!!!!.

Then of the side of the core when the wires extend, bend the right to the left an the left one to the right, nice and tight down to the core. Take the excess wire and put it through the other opening and pull it tight.

Not the wires will be sticking out the side of the core with the bottom of the U bend so cross them over again and send them back up the opposite holes.

Repeat this one more time and you are done.

Sometimes it helps to put a small screwdriver into the holes in the core to push the wires to one side.

If you need more wire let me know. Since I live in Pikesville maybe you can pick it up and I can do a hands-on demo.

Jim WA2EUJ