HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:51 am 

Just wondering what others might be using when taking their HR50 out for portable ops. I have tried a couple of different small li-po battery packs I got off eBay, one is rated at 4800mAh and the other at 9600mAh, but neither work. When I go to Tx on my KX3, the HR50 shuts off. All I can guess is they can't handle the current draw. They both work fine powering the kx3. What does work with the HR50 is a 1280 small sealed lead acid battery rated at 8Ah.

So again my question is what are others using? I would like to find something relatively light weight to use.

Paul
kc2nyu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:35 pm 

kc2nyu wrote:
Just wondering what others might be using when taking their HR50 out for portable ops. I have tried a couple of different small li-po battery packs I got off eBay, one is rated at 4800mAh and the other at 9600mAh, but neither work. When I go to Tx on my KX3, the HR50 shuts off. All I can guess is they can't handle the current draw. They both work fine powering the kx3. What does work with the HR50 is a 1280 small sealed lead acid battery rated at 8Ah.

So again my question is what are others using? I would like to find something relatively light weight to use.

Regular lithium cells may not work due to limited current that can be drawn from them. The cells not only are not designed for such draw, but many have built in circuits protecting from overdischarge, which may introduce significant voltage drop when connected to the amplifier.
Take a look at batteries used by RC folks in multirotors. I've got a 4S 10Ah LiPo battery for quadrocopters, and it works well powering HR50, FDM-DUO and tablet used with the radio.
One thing you should remember about, is to get a battery monitor. RC batteries come without any kind of protection circuits, and it's extremely important to monitor individual cell voltages during use. Also, get a good RC battery charger. I find mine useful for charging all kinds of batteries.

If you are willing to spend a bit more money for better quality battery, look around for LiFePo batteries made by A123. There is a company building battery packs for use with HAM radios, with all necessary accessories and connectors built in.

Last edited by KW4EP on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:59 am 

Try one of these:

https://www.bioennopower.com/collections/12v-series-lifepo4-batteries/products/12v-12ah-lfp-battery-pvc-pack