HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:19 pm 

I've gone through the assembly manuals for building the amp with everything, which seems pretty straightforward.

I've gone through the assembly manual for the ATU and assembled it. Then referenced the main amp manual for the few things necessary for the QSK.

Pretty well and good although I ran out of RG-316 as there's at least one more 6" jumper I needed to make between the main board and ATU. Not a problem.

Where I run into difficulty is what changes are necessary to add the QSK after and HR 50 has been built. This one is serial #1450. Rev G RF Board. It has Relay 1 already mounted as a prior owner didn't go the QSK or ATU route. So my question is, can I just remove the jumpers to the relay or do I need to remove the relay as well? I see a jumper on the RF board marked RLY and jumpered to W1, there also appears to be a QSK hole, which is unjumpered. Do I need to move that as well? Anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Richard
K8SQB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:44 am 

Hi Richard,

Adding the QSK after the original build is more difficult than adding the ATU. Start by removing the amp board from the heatsink. Remove the screws that hold the MOSFETs first then the screws that hold the PCB. Clean the thermal compound form the heatsink and the MOSFETs or you'll have to clean it off everything else in your workshop later!

1. RLY-1 must be removed because it physically interferes with the QSK board.
2. You must also remove the AMP_IN and AMP_OUT terminal blocks because they must be installed on the QSK board.
3. The RLY_OUT coax jumper must be removed from the amp board it will be soldered to the QSK board.
4. QSK-A, QSK-B and QSK-C header receptacles must be added to the amp board.
5. The jumper W1 must be removed from the RLY selection and reinstalled in the QSK selection.

Then, using new thermal compound, reattach the amp board to the heatsink. After this you can follow the instructions in the Amp assembly manual.

Jim WA2EUJ