HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hard Rock 50 trouble
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:59 pm 

Some time ago I purchased a KX3 with an HR 50 amp. I have been using the KX3 for a while but just recently tried to use the amp. I spoke to the original builder and he told me he had sent the unit (amp and atu) in to have aligned after he completed the kit (late 2014). I say this to verify that at one point it was working. Currently it powers up and can go through the menu items but it does not function with the KX3. When it is in line (antenna passing through the HR 50) there is almost no receive signal and a low level of electronic hash can be heard. There is continuity from the RF input SO 239 to the RF input on the ATU board and no continuity beyond that to the RF output SO 239. The resistance measurement from RF input to ground is ~.5 ohms and the resistance from the RF output is infinite. Not sure where to start looking for the trouble(s). Any recommendations would be appreciated. KK1K

Post subject: Re: Hard Rock 50 trouble
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:58 pm 

OK the first thing to do is remove the ATU from the circuit and get the amp functioning. Then add in the ATU and troubleshoot it if necessary. It's very difficult to troubleshoot both at the same time.

Since you didn't mention a QSK board I'll assume it's not present.

With the amp off, IN should conduct with OUT and neither should conduct with ground.
If that's not the case there's something wrong with the input-output wiring.

If that's OK, Id say look at the alignment section of the assembly manual, which you can find here:

https://sites.google.com/site/hardrock5 ... -s-portals

Go through the resistance checks and attempt to reset the bias. If that all works then we can work on some additional setps.

Jim WA2EUJ

Post subject: Re: Hard Rock 50 trouble
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:41 pm 

Jim,

Makes sense. Thanks.

Dean