HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:29 pm 

Hello:

First, Thanks to Jim for all of the help since my purchase of the hardrock-50! I just received the kx2/kx3-to-hardrock interface today. I do not want to damage my amp or radio, so here is my situation.

I updated the firmware in my kx3 a few weeks ago but 2 of the 3 Hardrock-50 operating instructions for the interface do not mesh with the kx3 menu settings. This is from the Hobby PCB interface instructions:

"To enable automatic band switching you must change the following settings in the KX3’s menu:

AUTO INF – Set for ANT CTRL (causes the KX3 to send frequency data)
RS232 – 19200 (could be set to other baud rates as long as the ACC Baud Rate in the HR50 is the same)
ACCIO2 – ON (enables the PTT output)"

Problem: There is no AUTO INF in the KX3 menu now. There is no ACCIO2 in the KX3 menu either, although I believe the new one for that is ACC2 IO (probably obvious). Any help with the updated KX3 menu regarding the AUTO INF is appreciated.

Ed
KB3SZZ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:42 pm 

Which version of the Elecraft FW did you update to? I'll try to duplicate it here. I also run a KX3.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:59 am 

The firmware is "MCU 2.90 / DSP 1.52, 12-14-2017". I believe it is the latest one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:46 am 

Looking a bit deeper, I don't know if this is a Hardrock issue.

I just checked and page 28 of the KX3 manual, gives a description of the AUTOINF menu setting. If Elecraft released FW that eliminates this menu setting it seems like they have eliminated their rig control and automatic antenna control functions. Maybe there is a bug in their FW.

Also page 4 of the KX3 Probrammers Reference Manual gives a detailed description of the 'AI' command which is the external command equivalent of the AUTOINF menu setting. If Elecraft has eliminates AUTOINF the menu selection, you should still be able to use Termite (or other terminal program) to issue a AI1; command to activate the band change info.

I'm hesitant to update the FW in my KX3 because I don't want to loose the automatic band switching functionality.

Jim.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:48 pm 

OK, thanks for the info. I think I can use the KX3 utility to reload an earlier version of the firmware that will be compatible.

Best,

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:53 pm 

OK, that didn't work. The Elecraft folks were kind enough to send info from the latest KX3 manual, which I translated below into a small number of steps, but this did not seem to work, either. If anyone has had success, I would appreciate a follow up.

BTW, I am assuming that, with the cables plugged into the interface, the Hardrock-50 is supposed to be in PTT mode and when I make a band change on the KX3, it should be mirrored automatically on the Hardrock.

Ed
KB3SZZ
========================
1. Push and hold the lower right DISP button to enter the KX3 menu.
2. Turn the OFS/B knob clockwise until the menu option called TECH MD appears.
3. Turn the large tuning dial until the display reads "On." This allows you to see menu entries that are 
 normally hidden.
4. Turn the OFS/B knob clockwise until AUTO INF menu option appears.
5. Push and hold the rate button for a moment to unlock the AUTO INF menu option. Turn the large 
 tuning dial until the display reads Ant Ctrl.
6. Turn the OFS/B knob counterclockwise until ACC2 IO menu option appears.
7. Turn the large tuning dial until the display reads "On."
8. Push (but do not hold) the DISP button to exit the KX3 menu.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:47 am 

OK now that you have the AUTOINF in ANL SEL mode, you also need to make sure that ACCIO2 is on to enable PTT output and make sure that the RS232 is set to the same rate as the HR50's ACC Baud rate. There's also a setting in the HR50 called KX3 mode that has to be 'ON'.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:09 pm 

Haha - right! Thanks, Jim - that did it! Everything now works great with the latest KX3 firmware. I was so focused on the KX3 settings that I forgot to go back and check on the Hardrock settings.

For the technologically challenged (like me), I created detailed set-up directions for the KX3-to-hardrock interface. I mainly do CW, but this should work for the basics on everything, I believe. I can use this if my ham radio life gets interrupted, as it frequently does, taking me away from the hobby for a while - after which I seem to need to relearn a lot of stuff! :oops: -SEE BELOW-

All comments and corrections are welcome.

Ed
==========================
-Set-Up for the KX3 to Hardrock-50 Interface-

A. Connect the KX 3 to the Hardrock-50.
1. Obtain a cable with a male BNC plug on one end and a male UHF plug at the other end. 
2. Plug in the male BNC to the KX3 antenna jack on the right side of the radio. Plug in the male UHF 
 plug to the rear jack labeled "IN" on the back of the Hardrock-50 amplifier. 
3. Connect another male UHF plug to the rear jack labeled "OUT" on the Hardrock-50 amplifier which 
 leads to your antenna configuration.

B. Set up the Hardrock-50 Elecraft KX2/KX3 Interface with its included cables.

1. Plug in one end of the 3.5 mm Stereo Right Angle Male cable to the ACC1 jack on the left side of 
 the KX3.
2. Plug in the other end of the 3.5 mm Stereo Right Angle Male cable to the KX2/KX3 Interface board 
 labeled ACC1.
3. Plug in one end of the 2.5 mm Stereo Right Angle Male cable to the ACC2 jack on the left side of 
 the KX3.
4. Plug in the other end of the 2.5 mm Stereo Right Angle Male cable to the KX2/KX3 Interface board 
 labeled ACC2.
5. Plug the KX2/KX3 Interface board into the serial jack labeled "ACC" on the back of the back of the
 Hard-rock-50 amplifier.

B. Set up the Hardrock-50 menu options for the KX2/KX3 Interface.

1. Quick-press the KEY MODE button on the front of the Hardrock amplifier until you see the desired 
 mode - OFF, COR, or PTT. (probably PTT for most cases).
2. Press and hold the KEY MODE button until you see "1. Exit" displayed. Then quick-press the BAND 
 SELECT "+" button once until you see "2. ACC Baud Rate" with a number displayed below it.
3. Quick-press the KEY MODE button once. Arrows will appear to the left and right of the number. 
 Quick-press the "+" or "-" button until the desired baud rate appears. (I chose 19200). Quick-press the 
 KEY MODE button.
4. Quick-press the "+" button twice to get to menu option "4. KX3 Serial". Again, quick-press the KEY 
 MODE button once. Arrows will appear. Quick-press the "+" button once to set the choice to "YES".
Quick-press the KEY MODE button.
5. Press and hold the KEY MODE button to exit the menu. All settings are saved. To check your 
 settings, press and hold the KEY MODE button and quick-press the "+" button to move through and 
 check all of your settings. Press and hold the KEY MODE button to exit the menu.

C. Set up the KX3 menu options for the KX2/KX3 Interface.*

1. Push and hold the DISP/Menu button to enter the KX3 menu.
2. Turn the OFS/B knob clockwise until the menu option called TECH MD appears.
3. Turn the large tuning dial until the display reads "On." This allows you to see menu entries that are 
 normally hidden.
4. Turn the OFS/B knob counterclockwise until AUTO INF menu option appears.
5. Push and hold the RATE/KHZ button to unlock the AUTO INF menu option. 
 Turn the large tuning dial until the display reads Ant Ctrl. 
6. Turn the OFS/B knob counterclockwise until ACC2 IO menu option appears. Turn the large tuning dial
until the display reads "On." 
7.Turn the OFS/B knob counterclockwise until RS232 menu option appears. Turn the large tuning 
 dial until the display reads the baud rate you set on the Hardrock amplifier in Part B above. 
 (I chose 19200).
8. Quick-press the DISP button to exit the KX3 menu.

*This assumes you have already set up the KX3 menu settings and mode you wish to use (CW, Digital, 
 mode, SSB, or AM)