HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:28 pm 

Hi Jim,

Separate but somehow related questions:

1. Of late my HR-50 (2-3 years old, well used) has "stuck" in the transmit mode. Over the weekend, when paired with my QRP YouKits HB-1B in COR transmitting mode while operating mobile, the amp on several occasions stuck in transmit mode though the radio was not being keyed. BTW the amp was being powered by a SLA battery at the time, voltage approximately 12.4 volts +/-. This may have occurred once or twice in my main shack but if so, I did not note the occasion.

2. In the above configuration, I am thinking full QSK operation might be advantageous. I was thinking of retro fitting the amp with the QSK board. I looked over the assembly manual and it does not seem too difficult. Anything I should note regarding that procedure? In particular, do the bypassed relays need to be removed? BTW the unit does not have the ATU. It does have the optoisolater USB board.

Thanks.

MJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:21 pm 

Hi MJ,

What keying mode were you using when the sticking occurs, PTT or COR? The QSK board can be tricky to add to an existing amp. You'll have to separate the amp board from the heatsink, remove RLY1 (the white relay) and the green terminal blocks. You'll also have to move the RLY_OUT AMP_IN coax jumper up to the QSK board.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:46 pm 

Jim,

The keying mode was COR.

If I go ahead with the QSK board, I will have to impose on some more skilled and better equiped associates to assist my efforts. Sounds like it is possible however.

MJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:30 am 

OK Sticky COR could be something wrong in the RF detector but that usually goes the other way (no COR). It could also be something external like some signal coming from the radio. The next time it happens try unplugging the radio from the amp to see if the stickiness is inside the amp or the radio.

Jim.